Monday, May 11, 2009

Season Finale



Why must all good things come to an end? Without realizing, this is the last blogpost for ES2007s. Returning to my first post, I still agree with my understanding of the value of effective communication skills. However, my understanding for it has deepened as the class progressed.

My initial understanding of the value of effective communication was restricted to verbal conversations. However, I had an insight to the different forms of effective communication like verbal, non verbal, 7Cs of writing and in different cultures. Being able to appreciate the different cultures and background of people, it has trained me to look at things from different perspectives and in a bigger picture. Also, I realized that it is important for both parties to practice effective communication in order for it to take place, just like what Qi Ying mentioned in her first post, ‘Do not assume that the other party knows exactly what you are thinking, else, you will make an ‘ass’ out of ‘u’ and ‘me’. I’ll always remember that! It takes both hands to clap.

Throughout this module, I have learnt to build up my confidence in speaking (at least when seated) in front of the class, sharing with each other my views, opinions and experiences. I have also learnt skills that are essential when working in groups, respecting team members and compromising each other when our ideas do not agree. I think that such skills are essential in the working environment.

As Mathematics major, I do not practicing writing often. However, with blogging as part of our assessment, I was ‘forced’ to write almost weekly, where I am assigned to a particular topic to comment on. I had no choice but to make do with my limited vocabulary and expression problem. Yet, after completing 7 blogpost, I agree with the statement that ‘Practice makes perfect.” though I am still far from perfection. I was more confident in expressing myself with all the practice and through posting and exchanging conversations, I got to understand my fellow classmates better, which promotes effective communication!

Despite the heavy workload, I really enjoyed myself in class. ES has equipped me with skills that are practical and essential in the working life, skills that other modules will never be able to enlighten me with. Now, it is time for me to turn these skills into assets and apply these valuable skills when I set foot into the working society in just a matter of a few months.

Looking back, ES was not the module that I intended to take. However, given the skills that I have learnt, if given another chance, I will definitely choose to read ES2007s again and with no regrets! In fact, I am glad that I made the decision to take ES instead. I hope everyone shares the same sentiments as me and I would like to say a great big thanks to Brad and all my fellow classmates who have made ES a wonderful and memorable experience.

Wishing everyone the best in your future endeavors! Cheers!

9 comments:

  1. This is a touching final post, Michelle. I'm really happy that you have found so much in ES2007S to sing praises about. I'm never quite sure how students will react to my "pushiness," my request for them to do so much work. You are an example though of just how much that work can pay off. I think you made great strides in your writing, and I know you also came to a much deeper understanding of the various aspects of effective communication. I do wish I could have assisted you more in dealing with some of the "rough patches," the trials and tribulations of some parts of the coursework, and part of me would like to spend another 10 weeks on interpersonal communication alone. But I can see in what we have discussed that you are a person who is searching for meaning and understanding, and that is half the battle in developing oneself further.


    Thank you again for all your hard work and contributions, Michelle. All the best as you continue your learning/life journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle!

    I'm surprised and rather impressed that you could still remember Qi Ying's post on "assumption". That post was unforgettable isn't it? =)

    You are right. I agree with you that practice makes perfect. Even though I'm a life science student, and I have to write reports and essays, my profs have never pay much attention to proper writing skills. I can understand how much improvements you and I have made through doing all the ES2007S assignments.

    It is always pleasant to read your blog posts as sometimes you would post interesting stories. I can never forget your story on the pregnant lady in MRT and your US vacation experience. Thanks for sharing all your experiences and perspectives!

    All the best for your future! And if you really work in SMRT, can design an adult concession fare card? LOLX! Just kidding! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Grace,

    If I really get to SMRT, I will feedback to them about having concessions for adults! Haha..

    I am glad that you like my blog posts and the stories that I have shared with you guys! I have learnt lots from you guys too! I think that it is through all these exchanging of experiences and perspectives that allows us to grow to become a more matured adult!

    Nice meeting you and having you as a friend! I really enjoyed those times spent together. You take care too and all the best for your final exams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Brad,

    If given a chance, I will really love to take up another course that teaches 10weeks worth of interpersonal communication skills from you. I really enjoy listening to all the stories that you mentioned in class. Many a times, I will share your stories with my family members and my friends as I think they are really valuable experiences that we can learn from. You have travelled so much and have personally experienced all the different cultures, which makes me really envious! I really hope to impart your knowledge and your communication skills! When will that day come?! Haha.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Michelle!

    It's been quite a journey hasn't it. I just wanted to say thank you for being part of this journey!

    It's definitely not easy working with others with so many conflicting ideas, but this is all part and parcel of learning and sharing. This experience will definitely prove to be useful in the future when you start working in the real world with more different people.

    I'm glad that you also agree that practice makes perfect, it really takes alot of effort to improve communication even when it's so tough. I think it was great that you took all the work in a positive spirit allowing yourself to see how you could put into practice what you've learnt.

    It is true that the friendships made in this learning process made it more memorable. I believe that these friendships will go a long way.

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jane,

    Yup, thank you for being part of my learning journey too! Learning how to handle people to people skills is really a challenge to me. I am sure when I step foot into the working society, I will be faced with challenges, having to deal with different people of different characters.

    Yup, I have learnt alot from the class as a whole and I am sure our friendships will definitely go a long way! Take care!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey fellow mathematician!

    As someone who is in the same major as you, I agree with you that writing is often not practiced, unless you count writing equations and symbols! I am so glad that we have blogging as one of our assignments as it really gave me a chance to improve not only on my writing skills but communication skills through interacting with everyone on their blog posts and on their feedback for me. Practice does make perfect and so maybe we can continue to update our blog even after this semester. It’s one way to keep in touch!

    Like you and everyone, I never regretted taking up this module as it is really one of the most fun and memorable experience I had in NUS. I think all of us has improved on our communication skills that will definitely aid us in the future!

    Haha I read the little conversation you had with Grace. For me, if you working at SMRT, ask if they need another mathematician there! Haha

    Good luck in your future endeavors and also in the upcoming examinations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    Thank you for re-capping that phrase on "ASSUME".Yes you are right practice does make perfect but like Sze hui has posted it does take effort and I understand the amount of effort you have put into to improve yourself. You are correct about the "bigger picture". If not for globalization something that happens in America shouldn't be able to affect Singapore. Thus, it is important to break out from our little bubble and see the bigger picture.

    Keep smiling. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey!

    Its great to see that you actually remembered the phrase I worte in my first blog. Thank you!

    I think you have indeed shown more confidence in speaking up and sharing your ideas with us. Its great to see that you and everyone in the class has improved in their areas of weakness over the past months.

    All the best for your coming exams.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete