Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Biodata!

My name is Michelle Lee. I am currently studying at the National University of Singapore (NUS), in my 3rd year, last semester and I will be graduating this July. I am from the Faculty of Science, majoring in Applied Mathematics, with concentration in Operations Research, and minoring in Economics.

Prior to my university education, I was from Tampines Junior College (TPJC), where I studied Economics, Mathematics and Physics. My strong interest in Mathematics has led me to continue to pursue my interest in it in the university. Although Mathematics in the university is very much different and more difficult compared to the mathematics in JC, the mathematical training that I receive in NUS fosters logical and critical thinking and analytical skills when solving problems. This is an essential skill in everyday life.

In order to strike a good balance between my work and studies, I was very active in the TPJC Choir, where I took up leadership roles, being in the Music Committee as a Sectional leader. I was responsible for training choir members in my section during sectional practices. It was a challenging role as singing and music is not something that can be explicitly spelt with a word or phrase. Therefore, I had to exhaust all my verbal and nonverbal communication skills to guide them to sing well. I think that through this experience, I have developed interacting, liaising and public speaking skills, which is vital in the workforce.

On top of the school activities, I have been playing the piano for many years and I am currently preparing for my Grade 8 theory exam this May. My music study was a rough journey as I am a difficult student when I was young and many a times, I have thought of giving up. Having come thus far, it has thought me to be disciplined and persistent, not only in music, and the things and work that we encounter in our daily life. My passion for music has led me to aspire to be a piano teacher after I have earned my Diploma in Teaching certificate.

In addition to being bilingual, I hope to master the third language, Korean, which I am very interested in. 안녕하세요! 저는 미셸 입니다. 만나서 반갑워요! This sentence means, ‘Hello! I am Michelle. Nice to meet you!’ Apart from my interest, I think that learning an additional language is an added skill. Being in a society that has infinitely many opportunities to work with people of different cultures and backgrounds, such added skills will enable one to communicate more effectively.

I hope that with all the valuable skills that I have learnt thus far, it will bring me to greater heights in my work and personal well being.

14 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle!

    I liked how you introduced yourself in Korean! I think having a third language is definitely a plus point nowadays. And I'm sure that the skills you have learnt will really take you far! Hope that you will be able to apply all these skills in your future area of work as you had mentioned in your "interview" (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle!

    I think your post is very detailed and you managed to bring across your points clearly and effectively. You not only mentioned why you chose to major in Applied Mathematics but also what skills you developed from this course of study. You have also shown that you struck a balance within studies and other areas.

    I agree with you that knowing an additional language is an added skill. It is an asset where it could provide you with work opportunities in future. I liked how you added a sentence in korean! Can i copy and paste and use it? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michelle,

    The structure of your biodata is very well-organised. Maybe you can add in some of the things you wrote in your resume in here. =)

    Hey! Which section were you in?

    All the best for your Grade 8 exam! The cert is just in front of you! Go get it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Michelle,

    I found your post very interesting! I was pretty shocked when I saw that you aspire to be a piano teacher after reading about your expertise in mathematics and even minoring in economics. It shows your passion for music and the courage to pursue it.

    Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an impressive bio, Michelle. I think it represents your diverse interests and talents very well. Like Roy, I'm a little surprised that you have opted to become a piano teacher. But having a passion for music myself, I can understand that ambition. I hope that gives you lots of satisfaction. Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jane,

    Indeed, having a third language is a plus point in the working life. However, it takes a lot of effort, persistence and discipline in order to master it. As Korean is not a language commonly used in Singapore, out of sight, out of mind.. When you do not practice, it is as good as you did not learn the language. Therefore, it is really not as easy as others think..

    As an individual grow, we continuously pick up new skills based on the experiences that one encounters. Therefore, having the skills are important, however, being able to apply the skills that you possess is even more important!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shu Juan,

    Of course you can go ahead to use the Korean sentence. No copyrights ma.. Laughs!

    Thank you for the compliments. I always believe that making the first move to register for the course is a good start. However, what is more important is to make sure that one can learn something out of the course and further develop the skills so as to turn what is given into an asset of the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Grace,

    Thank you for the best wishes. I really hope I can do well too!

    Oh, I used to have a very high voice when I was in the secondary school, so I was in Soprano 1. But somehow, I lost it and was kind of like demoted to Soprano 2. How sad! Laughs! Which section were you in? Let me guess.. Soprano too? You do not sound like an alto to me.

    Actually, I took some of the content from my cover letter and resume, so yup! Cheater bug! I know.. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Roy,

    Thanks for the best wishes!

    Nah.. No expertise in Mathematics. Actually I prefer Economics to Mathematics, but I just thought that Mathematics was more useful. But judging the current economic situation, if I do not get a job, fortunately, I can still fall back on my music! And it’s time I earn back the music fees that I have paid for my lessons.. Laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brad,

    Thank you for the compliment.

    To start off with, I am a very difficult student myself when it comes to music. My piano teacher has tried means and ways to make me excel in my piano examinations. Back in my younger days, my teacher has commented that I was her biggest challenge. But now that I have made it all the way, my teacher is proud of me. I am sure that in future when I face similar challenges, I will look up to my teacher as an example and will definitely feel a great sense of satisfaction when my students excel too! I hope that this day will come soon.

    You have a passion for music too? Care to share? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...yes, I do have a passion for music. When I was in college I was the guy who would always spend his last dollar to buy a new album. Now I have more CDs than anyone should own. I love classical, jazz, rock, hip hop, blues, Indian classical, fado, flamenco, etc. I like the way all music has a common denominator.

    I also played for many years in blues/rock bands, and I've produced a couple CDs, creating music together with Karen, who is a professional singer. (Her/our latest album has been nominated for 2008 Album of the Year in Malaysia.) Now I really only play with my friends, tired of the stage, really.

    So I have a small pedigree in music.

    Do you play a lot? What do you play? Where and when?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Brad

    Way to go!

    Guess we should get you to sing during one of the lessons before the semester ends! You said you have created music together with Karen, you mean writing your own songs? Cool!

    I have always wanted to write my own songs, the classical type. But I do not think I am up to standard yet!

    I used to play alot, especially for my school choir. But now that I am preparing for my Theory exams and busy with my work in school, I do not play as much. I only know how to play the piano. I will love to learn to play the guitar too, but I lack the perserverance as my fingers just do not listen to me! It hurts! Wahaha..

    As compared to you, my insignificant talent in music has brought me nowhere. I usually play at home as it is Suited for my ears only! Wahaha.. Unless I can build greater confidence, I do not think I will be as successful as you!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha...I was an Alto in Secondary School! Then promoted to Sop 2 in JC. Haha.. I prefer Alto eh.. Its kinda boring always singing the melody. Hah! Let's sing a piece together someday! =P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Grace,

    Haha, you were in Alto? Your voice sounds too high for the alto range! I love to sing soprano coz the melody is alway more catchy and easier to sing, not like Alto, so boring.. Our taste is quite different huh!

    It has been ages since I last sing in the choir. Hope my voice is still okay for the ears. Brad says that he can sing too! Maybe this thursday we can sing together! Wonder how it sounds.. Haha..

    ReplyDelete