Sunday, February 1, 2009

Resolving Interpersonal Conflict


Interpersonal conflicts are very common in everyday lives. Personally, I classify conflicts into 2 categories, internal (within oneself) and external (between 2 or more parties). Some conflicts can really spoil your day while some, you'll just sleep on it and forget about it the next morning. Well, different people will handle it differently and it really all depends on how you handle the situation and perceive it.
I still remember the faithful day, 31st August 2008. It was the day when runners from all over the world joined together to participate in the Nike + Human Race 10K, clocking a total of 79,275 participants representing 142 countries. My friends and I decided to challenge the race and fortunately, we survived! However, it did not end on a good note.

The starting point of the race was near Esplanade, so all of us decided to pool our belongings together and keep in one of my friend, A’s locker in SMU (Singapore Management University) which was quite near Esplanade. The race proceeded and after the long and tiring run, we finally made it through the finishing line but we did not finish as a group due to different running pace. Hence, we made our way back to the locker in SMU separately. However, when my friends and I reached there, we were unable to find A to grant us access to the locker as only A holds the matriculation card to enter the campus. So poor me and my friends had to wait for A to come back then we could retrieve our belongings.

As the minutes and seconds crawled by, we begin to lose our patience when our wait leads to no avail. So we decided to borrow a phone from one of the shops nearby in attempt to call A and our own phones, no one picked up. After numerous attempts, A finally picked up the phone and A came down to bring us up. We were all puzzled by why we could not contact A and after exchanging a couple of words, we then realize that he actually went to bath after the run and was with his girlfriend chatting happily upstairs. This made all of us really furious and A and some of my other friends actually got into a quarrel. “Here we are waiting anxiously for you to ‘save’ us and there you are bathing and chatting with your girlfriend!”

I think that A is really very irresponsible. Knowing that all of us are missing, I think that A should at least take the initiative to wait for us to come back before going to bath. With all the rage stirring up, we exchanged some really impolite phrases and all of us departed on a sour note.

I’m sure no one felt good about this. I think that A must be feeling wronged for having so many fingers pointed at him and the rest of us must be feeling frustrated at A for being so irresponsible. All of us then had sour feelings and left. After cooling down, I’m sure many of us will regret for acting rashly as it will definitely leave a scar on our friendship. It’s not worth spoiling our friendship for something so trivial. However, at that spur of the moment, one will just be so blinded by anger and just blurt out whatever that is on one’s mind without thinking of the consequences.

In such a situation, I feel that it is more of a conflict of interest that has sparked off such problem. All of us just wanted to retrieve our belongings as soon as possible but A wanted to spend time with his girlfriend and thus cleanly forgotten about the whole group of us waiting for him. Well, I’m sure we did something that made all of us feel bad but it is impossible to turn back time. If you were in the same shoes as me, how will you react to the situation upon learning that A is being so irresponsible?

8 comments:

  1. This is an interesting scenario, Michelle. Preferring that your blogging group members give you possible solutions, I won't comment on the conflict issue. I will say though that inconsistent verb tense use is a problem in this description. Here's just one example:

    "I’m sure no one felt good about this. I think that A **must be** feeling wronged for having so many fingers pointed at him and the rest of us **must be** feeling frustrated at A for being so irresponsible."

    But I don't want my criticism to overshadow your hard work! Thanks, Michelle, for this effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,

    This happened quite a while back. It must have been a very long wait! Did all of you choose to put it in A's locker because you all felt that he'd take the shortest time to complete the race or was he the only SMU student?

    I feel that there are a number of ways I would react to such a scenario, and it depends on how close A and I are.
    If we were close, I'd just go "Tsk. See, you made everyone angry. Why never think properly?" I'd take note of his real reasons, and then pass some kind of a judgement based on it.
    If we weren't close and I was really dissed about it, I would ask whoever is closer to him the real reason. Only then would I judge this person.

    His excuse could be something like
    "None of you carried a phone. I thought I could bathe and come down in time but we got carried away."
    or
    "My girlfriend and I are going out later so I thought I could bathe in time but we ended up quarreling so I couldn't take note of the time."

    Oh, I also have a number of friends who regularly turn up an hour to two later for our lunches and dinners. This may have created a cushioning effect on how angry I felt towards A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle!

    I can imagine how frustrated you and your friends must have been waiting for A after such a long run, being stuck at SMU unable to go home. But, it is also understandable why A did not stay beside the locker and wait for you and your friends to reach SMU.

    A probably did not know when all of you would reach, so he might have thought of taking a quick shower while waiting.

    Another reason why he may have not stayed there could be because he might have assumed that you and your friends would probable call him once you do not see him. He may never have expected that you and your friends would wait for him.

    As for his girlfriend, I feel that he may have lost track of time while he was talking to his girlfriend, and not have made all of you to wait for him.

    My suggestion would be to listen to his side of the story first before scolding him, because I am afraid I'll regret my actions if I accuse anyone wrongly. If his explanation is acceptable, then I'm sure it would be easy to forgive him. But if he really was that irresponsible, then I'll just remind him not to do such a thing again and to stand in our shoes and be sensitive to our feelings.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Brad,

    Thanks for the comments and the correction of my inconsistent use of verb tense. By pointing out my mistake in class, not only me, but everyone can learn from my mistakes. I think that this way of learning is very effective. I've uploaded the edited version. Hope it is alright now. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Roarhaha

    We chose to leave our belongings in A's locker because we did not want to leave it at the shared lockers provided by Nike as it will be very messy and crowded when everyone starts retrieving their belongings together. Besides, he's the only SMU student among all of us.

    Well, the funny thing is A wasn't even apologetic at all! He just asked us "Where did you guys go?" and he quietly walked towards the locker. After he opened the locker for us, he went back to talk to his girlfriend. His reaction and body language told me that he is not even bothered by the issue, so I thought that it is not worth it to waste time and effort to argue over this issue anymore.

    Haha, you sure have lots of patience! Think never in my life have I been 1hr late. I always believe that 'I will not do those things to people that I do not like people to do it to me.' Haha. But judging the character of most of the people now, especially the younger generations, I think that being late is a norm... What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Hui Xia

    Think I forgot to mention that we did not bring along our phones with us to the run. Therefore, I think that A will not be expecting a call from us. And as mentioned in the reply to Roarhaha (Roy), he was not apologetic at all, which tells me that is not bothered by the issue.

    Well, no matter what, we are still good friends despite the conflict. I agree that we should not take our friends for granted but neither should we be negligent about each other's feelings. Perhaps I'll find a suitable chance to bring up this subject and apologize to him for all the harsh words we have used that day. Thanks for the reminder Hui Xia! Friends are hard to come by and we must cherish them dearly!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle,

    I am sure this scenario happens quite frequently among big group of friends especially for those who are not as time-conscious.

    I can imagine how furious you were! You had just completed a 10K run, exhausted and eager to freshen up yourself. But you were forced to wait for your irresponsible friend. I would try my best not to blow my top at him if I were you because then it would definitely cause tension in our friendship. (However, it is always easier said than done!)

    I would expect him to be apologetic for his irresponsible behaviour at least because there were not just you alone, there were others waiting for him. We have been taught since young to be punctual, to make sure we do not let others wait for us.

    Since you have seen his true personality, maybe it is advisable to remind him umpteen times to answer his calls and be responsive and responsible.

    Cheers,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jaenette,

    I agree with you, now that I have seen his true personality, I will take precautionary measure to prevent such problems from happening itself again. Or, I will approach someone else to entrust my belongings to! Haha..

    ReplyDelete